Thursday, May 8, 2014

Trip to Fash-Con and love for my brother...

Andy is amazing. I love my brother. He wrote out all the pro's and cons of going to the convention and then did a presentation for my parents and convinced them we should go. I did mention he is very smart right? He is much smarter than a normal 8 yr old third grader. He pointed out that forcing him out of his comfort zone once in a while will lead to hid growth potential and he told them that while he is nervous and afraid he really did want to see something new at the same time even if it scared him. He said that if I am by his side he can get through anything. I started to cry when he said that about me. I mean I know he loves me and I love him but I never knew how much he loves me. I do from time to time get annoyed with him. He is so literal all the time. We have our jokes but his sense of humor is much different than mine so sometimes I accidentally make him made because he doesn't grasp my meaning. He is the last person I ever want to hurt. He is a really good guy. I wish more people would give him a chance. People see he is different and they don't bother to get to know him.
The thing is people with Autism need acceptance more than awareness. It isn't enough to just know he is autistic you need to accept it and embrace his uniqueness. Kindness would go a long way too and it would help so much. I get mad when people say he is a freak or point and laugh at him. Once he was in a chorus concert and he has a good voice.If no one is watching him he sings amazing but if he realizes there is any kind of audience... oh boy. He was standing all weird with his foot on one of the risers leaning on that leg and not singing and people sitting in front of us were pointing at him and laughing. I just sat there crying. How can adults be so cruel.  He froze under the lights and the eyes on him. He hasn't done Chorus since. It is a shame.  He loved practices just not performing. I really wish he can get over things like this and I wish people wouldn't act like that.
I wish I had the guts to yell at those people... or my mom had. She gets a little weird when people do that about him she rushes him out of the situation before he realizes what people are doing or saying and then cries a ton afterward when he won't know why she is upset. I think it is her weird way of trying to protect him but eventually he will know. He doesn't deserve it but you can't control a crowd like that.

Anyhow I hope and pray this trip goes well for him. Sensory gear is going along for sure... his ear protection and his stuffed cat. He has this stuffed cat that calms him down. It isn't heavy or extra soft or anything but he really likes it.
He is actually excited about it. He is talking a mile a minute like he does when he is obsessing or excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment